Each year hundreds of animals are subjected to cruelty under the guise of entertainment. The animals suffer lives of total misery whilst being forced to perform in circus acts operating in Scotland and throughout the UK.
The Scottish Government promises action. If this does in fact happen it will only cover 'wild' animals. Only a minute proportion of animals used in the industry will be saved. The show will roll on without your help.
Over the years time and time again the cruelty and brutality of this industry has been exposed*. From Trudy the Chimp to Anne and Flora the elephants the horror show keeps on going.
Animals don't perform acts naturally, they're beaten and terrorised into submission for the paying public. In between being paraded out to perform they are transported in cramped vehicles and confined to tiny enclosures and cages.
Some animals spend nearly all of the their lives tethered by chains.
68% of all experiments on animals are conducted without any anaesthetic.
- 92% of new drugs successful in animal studies go on to fail in clinical trials.
- 82% of doctors in an independent survey in 2004 were "concerned that animal data can be misleading when applied to humans" and 83% would "support an independent scientific evaluation of the clinical relevance of animal experimentation."
- Despite claims that it is essential no evaluation has been carried out regarding the efficacy or effectiveness of animal experiments
- Many studies have shown that animals predict correctly for humans less than 50% of the time: Tossing a coin would be more accurate.
- More than 10,000 people are killed every year in the UK by side effects of prescription medicines
If anything else had a 90% fail rate it would be abandoned. Because of bad policy and bad habits vivisection keeps on killing humans and non-humans regardless.
WHAT CAN I DO?
Start by making your voice heard. Register your view with representatives.
- Write to your MSPs and ask them to support a ban. You can do this here.
- Ask your family, friends and contacts to get involved. Help us get more people on board to pressure for support for a ban.
- Help our campaign by donating. 100% of your donations go directly to fighting for animals
WHAT SHOULD I SAY?
We don't offer you a template here as that leads to cut & paste emails being ignored and deleted as spam by administration offices staff and ultimately the ministers themselves. Instead you should write a short email in your own words covering the following points:
- I am fully in support of Scotland for Animals' campaign to amend the law to ban circus animals in Scotland.
- I ask that as my MSP you do all in your power to ensure that legislation is brought in to protect the animals better until the time comes when a total ban can be achieved.
- That you wish to see Scotland for Animals and other reputable animal welfare organisations on board to advise and give support.
WHAT ABOUT FUNDING?
We desperately need funds to make this campaign effective. Please consider making an urgent donation to this campaign. Large or small, every single penny will go directly towards this.
SFA is staffed entirely by volunteers. We take no wages, we have no expensive offices to run and no have no 'staff perks'. This ensures 100% of donation goes straight to the front line.