The export of live calves from Scotland has ended
To all our supporters who have worked hard to help achieve this, thank you. Never underestimate the power you have.
Although this ban has been achieved, we must all keep in mind that other animals are still being exported from the UK in miserable conditions, to a brutal death.
We will continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with our friends at KAALE and others until this trade is finished.
Please see below statement from Kent Action Against Live Exports.
Scotland for Animals
“Following on from yesterday’s announcement by CIWF informing us all that the Scottish government have banned issuing licenses for Live Calf Exports from Scotland KAALE would like to thank the following groups and people who have worked tirelessly on the unweaned calf issue from Scotland over the last three years
1. We would like to thank TAALE for originally corresponding with DERA Ireland and obtaining the information that the original journeys from Scotland via Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland and down to Cherbourg in France were very border line/illegal on the timings for calf journey’s.
2. Eyes on Animals and their UK representative who investigated some of these journey’s.
3. BBC Scotland who carried on with the investigation forcing P&O to decide to stop carrying the calves from Cairnryan to Northern Ireland resulting in the calves coming to us at Ramsgate for the Joline in October 2018.
4. All KAALE monitors and supporters who have turned out in all weathers to gather the information required to prove that the calf transporters were breaking the laws relating to calf transportation timings. Without these people non of this would have come to light and we personally are so grateful to these people for their faith in us and what we are doing.
5. Our dear friends in Scotland for Animals who have also worked with us since the end of 2018 being our liaison with the Scottish government. They too have been there every time the animals needed them and have never stopped pressing for this ban.
6. Our representative who travelled to Scotland to meet the Scottish government’s official dealing with calf exports, all arranged by Scotland for animals, at the beginning of this year. From this meeting there have been no calf exports through Ramsgate because the evidence we have produced showed they were breaking the law.
7. The Scottish government for making a stand on this issue and deciding to ban this trade even before a decision by Westminster.
8. CIWF for taking all the evidence forward and pressing for a judicial review which has resulted in this decision.
9. And finally P&O who banned the trade in 1994 and when ever we get evidence of the exporters trying to slip through on their ships immediately act to stop it.
We believe this has been a tremendous joint effort with a victory we all deserve.
THANK YOU ALL
Yvonne KAALE Kent Action Against Live Exports.“